As the appointed Engineer for Leacock Township, Hanover Engineering assisted the Township in the development of a new community park located on 12 acres in the Village of Intercourse. Hanover Engineering also assisted the Township in applying for and obtaining a Lancaster County Community Parks Initiative Grant to fund a portion of the project. The park was designed to be developed and constructed in phases, with Phases I and II completed at this time.
Phase I of the park included construction of a combination restroom/storage building, a large pavilion, sand volleyball courts, two parking lots, a pond and several paved walking trails. A tot lot/play area was installed after completion of Phase I. Phase II of the park included two open air pavilions and a band pavilion. Construction of Phase II was completed through the use of volunteers. Future phases of the park are anticipated to include basketball courts and tennis courts. The project was split into several distinct contracts, which were carefully timed to ensure all construction would be completed for the Celebration of the 250th Anniversary of Intercourse in June of 2004.
Specific services provided for the design and construction of the project included:
- Park concept layouts and site surveys
- Grading and stormwater management facilities design, including subsurface groundwater recharge to accommodate impervious areas on site
- Design of the restroom/storage building and large pavilion
- Design of a “pond” at the headwaters of Watson Run
- Layout of parking areas and walking trails
- Preparation of bid specifications